We're open every day over the Australia Day long weekend, with reduced opening hours on the Australia Day public holiday, Monday 28 January. More information ›
The David Scott Mitchell Fellowship is offered annually. Applications next open in May 2019.
About the Fellowship
The David Scott Mitchell Fellowship encourages and supports the use of the State Library of NSW collections for the study and research of Australian history. The David Scott Mitchell Fellowship was established in 2007 through the generous benefaction of Edward John Merewether, great-great-nephew of David Scott Mitchell. The Fellowship celebrates the centenary year of Mitchell’s bequest of his collection to the Library.
The principal purpose of the David Scott Mitchell Fellowship is to encourage and support the use of the Library's collections for the study and research of Australian history in writing and publication amongst scholars, researchers and the wider community, including internationally.
It is expected that David Scott Mitchell Fellows will:
- Be experienced researchers who are able to demonstrate a successful record of scholarship, publications and research outcomes.
- Be able to demonstrate a high-level capacity to promote their work through a variety of media channels in collaboration with the State Library.
- Agree that the fellowship is a priority during their tenure and that a concentrated period of effort, in the one year tenure, will be made to deliver the fellowship.
- Actively promote the research undertaken during their tenure.
- Make a presentation about the project at the conclusion of the fellowship.
- Ensure any publications, outcomes or media coverage which result from the fellowship prominently acknowledge the support of the State Library of NSW and the fellowship.
- Contribute to State Library of NSW print and online publications.
- Submit, to the Mitchell Librarian, a four-page summary of their completed project, copies of any research outcomes (presentations and publications) and a bibliography.
- Acquit their fellowship in a timely manner.
For more information see:
Applications for Fellowship
Applications for 2019 Fellowships have now closed. Applications for 2020 Fellowships open in May 2019.
Further information about applying for Library fellowships can be found in Frequently asked questions or you can contact us by email at