The Library's reading rooms are open. Before you visit, please read Visiting the Library.
Changes to the law from 20 May 2019
From Monday 20 May 2019 there will be changes to drink driving penalties. From this date, if you are caught drink driving in NSW, at any level, police may suspend your licence immediately.
Find more information about drink driving penalties at:
- Centre for Road Safety – Drink driving penalties - find out about the new laws on loss of licence for lower-range offenders, new alcohol interlock laws for mid-range offenders, and vehicle sanctions for high-risk drink drivers.
- Roads and Maritime Services – Offences and penalties – find out the offences and penalties related to driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs in NSW.
- Roads and Maritime Services - Drink driving reforms for low range offences
- Roads and Maritime Services - Licence suspension and fines for drug driving offences
Find more information about responding to a drink driving charge at:
- LawAccess NSW Representing Yourself: Driving offences and crime Responding to a charge - find out about how to respond to a driving offence, including checking what you have been charged with, negotiating with the police, pleading guilty or not guilty and going to court.
Find out about character references at:
- LawAccess NSW Representing Yourself: Driving offences and crime Instructions for writing a character reference and Sample character reference
- The following three sample character references are based on real references and were originally published in the Guilty Your Honour: representing yourself in NSW local courts when charged with drink driving 3rd edition by Helen Walsh, Walsh Publishing, 2006: