Questions for your lawyer
Before you start
- Is the first appointment free and how long does it last?
- Are you experienced in this area of the law?
- Can you start straight away?
- What is the best way to contact you?
- How will you keep me informed and how often?
- How long will it generally take for you to return my phone calls?
- If you are not available, is there someone else I can talk to?
- Can you explain what the costs cover?
- How likely is it that the costs will go up?
- Will you be charging for every phone call?
- Is there any way I can reduce the costs?
The legal problem
- Will you be handling the case or will someone else be doing some or all of the work?
- What strategy will you use?
- Will you need to contract anyone else?
- Are there any other alternatives?
- What are my chances of success?
- How long is it likely to take from start to finish?
- What will I be required to do?
- Will I have to attend court?
- Is it likely that a barrister will be required, and if so how much will they charge?