Registering AVOs

Registering a NSW avo in another state

An AVO made in NSW is only enforceable in NSW. However an AVO made in NSW can be registered in all other states and territories of Australia and in New Zealand so that it becomes enforceable. The process may vary, so the protected person should contact the equivalent of the Local Court in that state or territory to ask about registering their NSW AVO.

Registering a protection order made in another state

A protection order made in another Australian state or territory or in New Zealand can be registered in NSW by:

  • completing an application form, which is available from the Local Court
  • filing a copy of the external protection order to be registered
  • filing evidence that the defendant has been given (served) a copy of that order.

Once the AVO is registered it has the same effect as an AVO made in NSW.