We're open from 1pm to 5pm on Anzac Day, Thursday 25 April. Normal hours and services will resume on Friday 26 April. Find our Anzac Day opening hours here ›
The impact of changing technology on people's lives (ACHHK046)
- identify examples of changing technologies in their home or community
- discuss the similarities and differences of technology from the past through a range of sources and sequence them over time
- use a range of communication forms to explain how one example of changing technology affected people's lives
Background notes for teachers
Transport is very important for getting us to and from school, to the shops, the beach or a holiday destination. It is also used to bring food items to us – like ice cream! But transport changes all the time. Look carefully at the different types of transport that were used to deliver ice cream. How has ice cream delivery changed over time? How is ice cream delivered to shops now?
Activity teachers notes
Delivering ice cream
Use the sources provided to identify changing forms of transport used to deliver ice cream and sequence them chronologically
Ask students to:
- Look carefully at the sources and identify the different forms of transport used to deliver ice cream to customers.
- Sequence the photographs in chronological order by drawing a line from the photograph to the number.
- Note: Numbers 2, 3 and 4 are close in time but they show that although cars were available, some people still used horses and carts to deliver ice cream.
Ice cream differences
Use the source provided to discuss the similarities and differences between ice cream in the past and ice cream today.
Ask students to:
- Ask a parent, grandparent or teacher what ice cream was like in the past, e.g. Where did they buy it? What was their favourite? Was it sold in shops? Was it sold from trucks that drove around the neighbourhood? What flavours did they have? Did it come in a cone or a container? What (or who) was ‘Mr Whippy’? How did they know the ice cream truck was in their street?
- Write or draw pictures to explain similarities and difference between ice cream in the past and ice cream today.
NSW Syllabus for the Australian Curriculum History K-10
- HT1-3 describes the effects of changing technology on people's lives over time
Comprehension: chronology, terms and concepts
- sequence familiar objects and events (ACHHS031, ACHHS047)
- distinguish between the past, present and future (ACHHS032, ACHHS048)
Use of sources
- explore a range of sources about the past (ACHHS034, ACHHS050)
- identify and compare features of objects from the past and present (ACHHS035, ACHHS051)
- explore a point of view within an historical concept (ACHHS036, ACHHS052)
- Pose questions about the past using sources provided (ACHHS033, ACHHS049)
Explanation and communication
- use a range of communication forms (oral, graphic, written, role play) and digital technologies (ACHHS038, ACHHS054)
- Continuity and change: some things change over time and others remain the same
- Cause and effect: events, decisions or developments in the past that produce later actions, results or effects
- Empathetic understanding: developing an understanding of another’s views, life and decisions made
Learning across the curriculum