The Mitchell Library Reading Room will be closed to the public on Monday 29 April. To access collections and services on this day, please visit the Governor Marie Bashir Reading Room.
Days and weeks celebrated or commemorated in Australia (including Australia Day, ANZAC Day, Harmony Week, National Reconciliation Week, NAIDOC Week, National Sorry Day) and the importance of symbols and emblems. (ACHHK063)
Background Notes for Teachers
Trophies and medals
Have you ever won a trophy or a medal?
Teams and individuals can win trophies by competing in all sorts of activities such as sport, chess, dancing, acting or maths.
Some of the most famous trophies are the ones that people win for music, movies and television.
Do you know the name of the famous trophy actors win for movies?
Other well known trophies are for football, cricket and tennis.
Every four years athletes from all over the world compete to win special medals. What is the name of the competition?
By awarding trophies throughout history, people have been recognised and rewarded for their talents and achievements.
To see what we know about each image, download this resource.
HT2-1 identifies celebrations and commemorations of significance in Australia and the world
HT2-5 applies skills of historical inquiry and communication
Comprehension: chronology, terms and concepts
- pose a range of questions about the past (ACHHS067,ACHHS083)
Analysis and use of sources
- locate relevant information from sources provided (ACHHS068, ACHHS084, ACHHS215, ACHHS216)
Perspectives and interpretations
- identify different points of view within an historical context (ACHHS069, ACHHS085)
Explanation and communication
- develop texts, particularly narratives (ACHHS070, ACHHS086)
- use a range of communication forms (oral, graphic, written) and digital technologies (ACHHS071, ACHHS087)
- Continuity and change: some things change over time and others remain the same
- Significance: importance of an event, development or individual/group
Learning across the curriculum
- Civics and citizenship