It's Law Week this week!
Law Week is held every year in May to promote community awareness and understanding of the law, the legal system and the legal profession.
For Law Week 2022, check out these helpful books and websites to help you learn about the law.
Find an event
Visit the Law Week NSW website and check out the events. You might find an event near you or an online webinar or talk to join.
Books about the law
This week is a good time to read a book about the law.
- Find plain English books about the law
- The Law Handbook: Your Practical Guide to the Law in NSW has 40 chapters dealing with legal topics from About the legal system to Wills, estates and funerals
- Neighbours and the Law is an easy to understand guide to the different areas of law that are involved in neighbourhood issues and disputes, including fences, animals and noise
- Rest Assured: A Legal guide to Wills, Estates, Planning Ahead and Funerals in NSW explains wills and the legal processes when someone dies
Find sources of free legal help.
Join a webinar
Tenants' Union of NSW
NCAT: your questions answered
Wednesday 18 May 2022 10.00 - 11.00am
The panelists answer common questions renters have about going to NCAT (NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal). They talk about how to prepare, what to expect and how to handle the conciliation and the hearing. They also discuss the free help available to tenants. The panelists are Brett Webb (Northern NSW Aboriginal TAAS), Julia Murray (NEWTAAS) and Grant Arbuthnot (Tenants' Union of NSW).
Legal Aid NSW
Legal Aid NSW is hosting two webinars during Law Week. Register by clicking on the links below. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Dealing with NDIS service providers - what are my rights?
Tuesday 17 May 2022 11:00am - 12:15pm
Buying products and services through the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) can be confusing, especially if you have never done it before. It is important that you know your rights if something goes wrong. Hear from a Legal Aid NSW lawyer about your consumer rights, contracts and guarantees and who can help if you are not happy with the service and can't resolve the issue yourself.
Navigating the system
Thursday 19 May 2022 11:00am - 12:15pm
Decisions made by government agencies and services like Centrelink or health services can have a major impact on you. Hear from a Legal Aid NSW lawyer about how to make complaints and dispute decisions including who can help if you can't resolve the situation yourself.
Dive in deep
For those who want to learn more about the law.
- Listen to podcasts from Legal Aid NSW. Designed for community workers, the podcasts cover a range of legal topics.
- Watch community legal education webinars from Legal Aid NSW