It's Law Week this week!
Law Week is held every year in May to promote community awareness and understanding of the law, the legal system and the legal profession.
For Law Week 2020, check out these helpful books and websites to help you learn about the law.
Legal issues during COVID-19
Here are some of the many organisations providing legal information about issues arising due to the pandemic.
- Fair Work Ombudsman - Coronavirus and workplace laws
- Tenants NSW - What you need to know: renting and COVID-19
- Fair Trading NSW - COVID-19 - find answers to questions like Can I get a refund for an event cancelled due to COVID-19? Can I be evicted?
- Legal Aid NSW - Legal resources for COVID-19
Books about the law
This week is a good time to read a book about the law.
- Find plain English books about the law
- The Law Handbook: Your Practical Guide to the Law in NSW has 40 chapters dealing with legal topics from About the legal system to Wills, estates and funerals
- Neighbours and the Law is an easy to understand guide to the different areas of law that are involved in neighbourhood issues and disputes, including fences, animals and noise
- Rest Assured: A Legal guide to Wills, Estates, Planning Ahead and Funerals in NSW explains wills and the legal processes when someone dies
Find sources of free legal help.
Watch a video
Watch a short video from Legal Aid NSW. Learn how to find legal information, how Legal Aid can help, and all about civil law.
Join a webinar
Take the opportunity to hear from the experts by attending a webinar.
- As part of Law Week 2020, Liverpool City Library is presenting two legal Q&A’s with South West Sydney Legal Centre. Both presentations will take place on Zoom and streamed to Facebook, and are open for anyone to attend. Follow the links below for more information and registration.
- Shoalhaven Libraries and the ShoalCoast Community Legal Centre will be presenting a webinar on the legal issues surrounding COVID-19, including tenancy, employment, family law, and credit and debt on 21 May at 2pm. Find it on the Shoalhaven Library Facebook page on the day
Dive in deep
For those who want to learn more about the law.
- Listen to podcasts from Legal Aid NSW. Designed for community workers, the podcasts cover a range of legal topics.
- Watch community legal education webinars from Legal Aid NSW