The Library is closed onsite, open online. See updates here.
The Drug & Alcohol Info Hub is an interactive information display providing access to quality drug and alcohol information for the community.
The aim of the hub is to provide up to date and accessible information about drugs and alcohol and identify support networks and agencies within the local community.
The Hub program was first introduced in 2017 and has been very successful. Comments from participating libraries include:
- We took the display to the Greater Hume Council Youth Week/Step up Festival where over 250 young people and families attended. The feedback was extremely positive with many young people enthralled and taking part in a Beer Goggle Challenge.
- The aim of the display was for people to leave with more knowledge and pick up some facts they didn't know before - I think we achieved that!
- We ran a mocktail tasting session which really drew the customers in. The information materials are very well set out and used simple language that all clients could relate to.
- People were curious and keen to try the quiz and take sample bags. The standard drinks sample glasses were visually attractive and the beer goggles proved very popular.
Info Hub display unit
The Drug & Alcohol Info Hub consists of two Tuffline stands:
- Hub stand 1 includes an iPad with interactive content. This stand is powered. An extension cord and iPad plug are supplied.
- Hub stand 2 has a removable shelf for displaying information resources and promotional material. It can also be used for demonstrations such as standard drink or mocktail making demonstrations.
Each stand is 550mm wide by 1630mm high. An area of 2 x 2 metres is optimal for display.
The hub stands are delivered in a flight case (weight 80kg) which requires two people to lift/move. The stands require some assembly. Detailed instructions are provided.
The stands are accompanied by a Pelican case with a supply of information resources and promotional material to allow libraries to run programs and events during the display period.
Info Hub tool kit
Find more details about the program, including:
- host library requirements
- program outline
- Hub components, delivery and pickup
- suggested activities
- promotion and reporting.
Events and activities
During the display period the host library is required to display the interactive stands in their library and run a minimum of two events or activities in their community. Resources are included for pop-up events and/or satellite displays in branch libraries.
A suggested program of activities and display themes is provided in the Drug & Alcohol Info Hub tool kit. The Hub program is based on the existing Know Your Standards and Know Your Drug Facts programs for public libraries.
Suggested activities and events include:
- standard drink demonstration or pouring challenge
- beer goggle demonstration
- mocktail making demonstration
- library drug and alcohol expo for community and health workers and the local community.
Reporting and evaluation
The Drug & Alcohol Info Hub is an evaluated program and host libraries are asked to complete an evaluation.