Use your Drug Info resources to promote awareness of alcohol and prescription drug use to older people
Many libraries are involved in health and wellbeing related events and activities during the NSW Seniors Festival. You can use your Drug Info resources to promote awareness of standard drinks and the Australian Alcohol Guidelines as well as prescription drug use during the festival and at other times of the year.
Drug Info website
The Drug and alcohol information for older people page links to online information and sources of help for older people.
Information resources to promote
Use these books from your Drug Info collections in library displays:
- Healthy spirit, healthy community: a guide to drugs and alcohol within our community
- A quick guide to drugs & alcohol, 3rd edition
- A guide to coping: support for families faced with problematic drug use
The following free pamphlets are available to order or download from the Your Room website:
- Alcohol: the facts
- Benzodiazepines: the facts
- Caffeine and energy drinks: the facts
Download information about the Australian alcohol guidelines
The new Australian alcohol guidelines were released in 2020.
Ideas for activities
Use your Know Your Standards resin kit to run a pouring activity or set up a library display.
Put your resin kit on display:
- on your library counter
- in the genealogy room
- near the newspapers
Run a pouring activity
Select an activity from the Know Your Standards Tool Kit. Use this activity to:
- give a standard drinks session to library reading groups or other group meeting
- run a standard drinks demonstration at a library event
- provide library clients with an opportunity to test their knowledge of standard drinks at a stall
Outreach and mobile
The Know Your Standards resin kit is portable. Use the handy carry bag to take it out to events such as:
- picnic days and morning teas
- health and wellbeing expos
- film nights and other events
Make a mocktail
Use the Literary Mocktails resources to hold a mocktail making demonstration or class.
Use your Drug Info collection, including the NSW Health Drug Facts booklet collection as inspiration and resources for the following activities during the Seniors Festival:
- host a trivia competition using the Drug facts trivia round questions
- use the Know Your Drug Facts Activity Sheet to run a group activity
- hold your own mini drug and alcohol expo with an info display of Drug Facts booklets and a Know Your Standards resin kit. Create a poster for your event or use the NSW Health Drug Facts booklets covers (print images from the Your Room website).
Promotion and reporting
Promotional material items such as pens, postcards, Know Your Standards pocketcards and showbags are available to order for your event or activity.
IMPORTANT! Don't forget to report your event or activity to Drug Info via our online form.
Twitter, Facebook and other forms of social media are effective methods of communication. You could use these channels to provide links to useful online resources in order to reinforce the messages and to support people to make informed decisions and choices about drinking and/or drug use.
Use the following hashtags:
Do you know how many standard drinks are in your favourite drink? #knowyourstandards @druginfolibsnsw
Do you know how much wine (beer/scotch/tequila/champagne etc) is in a standard drink? Visit XX Library to find out
Use the seniors social media campaign to let the seniors in your community know about the information about alcohol and drugs available to them.